2006/04/24

Monthy Game recap and thoughts...

The "monthly game" is in the history books... 21 peeps showed up for the live game this time around, though some of the regular faces were absent from the event. Despite the absence of a few notables - Vegas Jack, CheckRayz member and last month's winner and the ever so popular "chip slinger" weren't able to answer the bell due to VJ's 40th birthday party the night before - the field was still as tough as ever.

Before the game started, we were forced to revisit a quote of some sort, as some idiot made himself a very bold prediction:

"My performance at the monthly game, in terms of results (read: cashing) have not been in line with my expectations. More often than not, I've been either the "bubble boy" or the first one out once the money hits. I'm making a bold prediction for this month, something I've never done, and calling my home run ball... I'm putting everyone on notice and saying "I will win this event this month." I know, bold statement, considering I've not factored in the chance of getting cold cards, or "bad beats" placed upon me. Oh, but I have... Bad beats and cold decks are something every poker player must deal with and work through. Its how one responds to said bad beats and cold cards that defines a winner. Taking that into consideration, I am vowing to overcome any cold cards and/or bad beats to emerge victorious. Failure... is not an option (read: it is very possible that I make a similar post next month, just prior to the "monthly game," however nothing is going to deter me or turn into an excuse if I do not win). I'm giving it my all and plan to win. Nuff said. " - the Beer Guy at the Poker Pub on 22 April regarding the "monthly game."

As fate would have it, not only is this prediction made known, but I also have what appears to be the worst draw in the history of my playing the "monthly game." To my immediate left sits SuperDonk, who is pissed off... not because he has position on me, but because Dusty Rhodes King Kong Donkey Kong, master of the figure four plunge from atop the Empire State Building Jack-three offsuit has position on SuperDonk. The host sits with Donkey Kong to his right. The host is a very solid, technical playa, having not only read, but also sold the beer guy on the Harrington Series of books. Then comes Giant's fan. I know not much about his play, though I recall sitting at a table with him once upon a time where he had been playing the players, not looking at his cards, but instead betting based on the posture of the person. He had once eliminated me with two pair in a not so obvious two pair situation. Then comes the hostess, a very solid playa, wife of the host, who pretty much enters the pot with the best hand preflop. Between the hostess and I sits "new guy."

Home run

Play goes for a while and I am involved in perhaps two hands, both of which I laid down on the flop (2's and sevens). I'm dealt A-10 and deciding in middle position, I'd like to play this hand, so I limp (gasp!). "Beer guy, you limp? Occasionally, I do. I did so, knowing a raise was probably more appropriate, however, I wanted to both disguise my play, and play some smaller pots, hoping to catch and chip up. Four handed, the flop comes 10-8-3. Action is checked around to me and I bet out, throwing down about 1/2 the pot. Giant's fan, in the BB makes the call. We're two handed and the turn brings out an ace. Two pair for me. SB checks, as do I. River card brings out a jack. This is a scary card for me. I'm thinking though that it might not have helped SB as he bets out strongly. I reraise to all-in, he makes the call, displaying the slow played AQ, which my two pair takes down. Giant's fan is eliminated as I cringe.

The fall of all things donk

Few hands later, Donkey Kong, who is a bit low on chips, with blinds now at 4/8 (round two - each round being 20 minutes, starting stack being 600) limps UTG. The hostess calls, now giving me sufficient odds to complete the SB with my 4-5 of hearts. SuperDonk checks, and the flop comes King of diamonds, six of diamonds, three of hearts. SuperDonk and I check it, Donkey Kong moves all-in. The hostess reluctantly folds up shop here. With Donkey Kong's all-in, I'm spending roughly ten percent of my stack to see the next card. This of course is providing SuperDonk either cleanly calls or folds. I call, and SuperDonk also calls. As a sidenote, I have SuperDonk covered nicely, as he has maybe 50-60% of the chips I have at this point. The turn card brings me a seven of spades, making the board kd, 3h, 6d, 7s. My turn. I reflect on the board, seeing a clear flush draw. I suspect that SuperDonk has some sort of hand, most likely either a flush draw or Kx, with X possibly being six or three. He might also have something like 88-99. I'm not chancing the draw and quickly move all-in. This whole thought process to action took roughly three seconds, and was similar in pace to the time I bet out strongly with my QQ vs. the SuperDonk hand of A3 offsuit when he called my monstrosity of a preflop raise and nailed an ace on the flop.


So, I push all-in, and quickly hop to what is now known as my "perch"... standing behind my chair, chips pushed in, sunglasses on top of my stack, staring down SuperDonk, assisting him in determining whether or not to make the call. He talks himself through it, struggling with whether or not to call... When asked, I inform him that I have a "made hand." Question becomes to him... what is a made hand? Am I serious, is this a douche bag move, breaking the implied cooperation rule sealed by the high five? Does he have me beat? Am I sitting on pocket queens? He snaps and makes the call, proudly turning over King eight. Donkey Kong turns over his pocket aces, which I never had him on. And I flip my four five of hearts sending quite the gasp to the table, as I've never once shown a hand that had such little preflop value. River card matters not, and both SuperDonk and donkey kong are sent to the rail by yours truly.

Massive chip-up for your drunken hero, and quite the moral victory by sending both the evil Donkey Kong and nemesis SuperDonk to the rail with one smooth Ric Flair like chop to the chest, accompanied by the trademark “Whoooooo!” from the fans. Two new peeps are brought to the table, to take the 2 spots to my left, and button is passed to me. I’m dealt AQ, the tainted hand that Bonds Giant’s fan was ousted with. I limp with that hand, citing a look on the hostesses face when she peaked at her hand, and also the aura of bad taste still in the air from the AQ. The host in the small blind completes, the hostess raises minimally. I think and fold, just not wanting to get involved, preferring instead to stack my chips, as I am absent any real chip skills (read: I‘m wanting to take a count on my stack). The host and hostess battle it out. She represents one of the hands I believed she had when I folded, and does so in textbook fashion, eventually forcing her hubby to lay down what would have been the winning hand on the river. Mad props to the hostess for that play. Sidenote, I am sure that she was going to make a play of some sort in looking back, based on her facial expression.

The Cerebral Hand

The host knows he had been had, and admits to being slightly on tilt. The button passes the two newcomers to the table, “new new guy” (I’m not original in all my nicknames, and the “Transylvanian Terror,” a very aggressive playa who I recall terrorizing the table with his balls out play, and excellent reads. I’m now UTG and I think for a second, and limp (Read: Danger Will Robinson! Danger, danger!!!). SuperDonk is on the rail looking on and giggles to his donk-self. The host looks over at the donk with super powers, and recalls the conversation the host and I had “pre-game” regarding how SuperDonk made the textbook move on the pub freeroll final table where he limp/reraised all-in with pocket aces under the gun, and how I had said only three hands are limp-worthy; additionally going on to say how this was the first time I had ever cheered SuperDonk on to win anything.


The host associated this move with the fact that he was on tilt, and that I knew the story was fresh in his mind… He assumed I did not hold one of my “big three” hands where I’d limp UTG, so he puts a standard raise in on the button. SB-BB fold them up. I think for a second, knowing that I’m up against a technician, reader of the same books I read, very similar strategy we share… So, in doing so, I’d know that if I put a weak looking reraise in, that would signal strength. I’d know that he knew this is how it looked, which to him, he’d then interpret this as a “move” or representation, rather than actuality. So, he pushes all-in… I have him substantially covered. I think for a bit, for the sake of television ratings, getting ready for May Sweeps. I call, as I hit the perch. He flips over Ace-Seven of spades, to my KK (no representation here, it is what it is… as advertised). Kings hold up and the host is sent to the rail.

Play continues

OK, now the head begins to swell, and the ego cracks it. I’m surveying the house, asking if there’s anyone on the rail that I didn’t put there (read: take me out back and whip my ass right now just for making that comment). As I’m surveying the carnage, the hostess knocks out original new guy with pocket kings to his ace something or other. We break our table down. New new guy and I are assigned to table 1, while the hostess and the terror are assigned to table two. Good news for the hostess is that she gets away from me, and misses sitting with “the shirt” and eggs in addition. The bad news is that she pairs up with the terror, and has the blind defender, who has been her nemesis on the table, eliminating her a few times, historically speaking with a lesser preflop hand.

Table 1

Off to the new table I go. Of course, I requested a bell hop to help me lug my excess baggage (read: massive chippage) to the table. Table consists of myself, to my left sits bills fan, a somewhat solid and slightly aggressive yet readable player. Two to his left sits Eggs, who given a chip stack will be a thorn in the side of all players within table distance from him. Then new new guy, now known as just new guy. Two to my right sits “the shirt.” I call him (I could really end the joke right there, because he‘s typically known for his calls…) “the shirt” because he has this Hawaiian style poker shirt, and I often ask him to stand up and turn around, because I need to find my starting hand and its not on “page 1” (the front of his shirt). To my immediate right sits “the mask” who gets his nickname on the first hand of this table upon my arrival.


Action folds around to the mask, in the small blind. He completes. I want to send the message, with King Jack that I’m not going to be a cheap date, and I wish to establish right here and now that there will be no limping on my blinds…. Period. Especially when it’s a SB-BB match up. So, I raise the size of the pot (blinds now ten twenty, ante of five). He makes a clean call. The flop comes K-J-3 rainbow. He checks to me, and I fire off a pot sized continuation bet. Once again, I am wanting to convey the crystal clear message there is no cheap match up. He thinks and calls, to my surprise. The turn card brings an ace. He checks. I’ve never played with him before, though I figure if he knows what he’s doing, he knows I am going to bet. He just might be comfortable with this, so I check behind him. River card brings a ten. He checks it to me. I consider firing off a bet. However, with the possibility of him having either a queen, or having two pair at this point, I’m comfortable checking on the back end. I flip over ko-jack and he shows down ace jack. Aha! He properly disguised his hand in the SB-BB match up and takes the pot with two pair. I sit here being thankful that Judith had shared her SB-BB hand regarding Ace queen and that we had spun it on the pub. She saved me some chips for sure.


Moving on, I’m in the BB later on, and the shirt moves all-in on the short stack. I look at my hand, and see jacks. I make a face or two, make the call and hit my perch. Holding true with tradition, he draws on me and sets his eights and is happy with the win. Fortunately for me, I’m chipped up enough whereas I can withstand a beat or two of this nature. Moving along, I would surrender my chip lead, but by no doing of my own. Eggs knocks out the mask and ceases power at the table, but not before the mask mows down the shirt in a battle of Halloween costumes. This comes right as the final table is announced to be forming (we formed at eight, however, the knockouts occur, making it seven… of which five spots pay).

Final tableage

We draw for position, and I snag the ace, making me dealer and giving me choice of seat. Eggs cites that he’s in an overall negative EV scenario, as he has chips, wants to win, yet he has to be at the dreaded Chuck E. Cheese with his fam very shortly. I say negative EV because should he win, he pisses the wife off, but wins the tourney. Should he lose, he makes the event, but “wastes” money in the tournament. Either way, there’s a loss involved somewhere. I try to make life easier for the chip leader, and sit relative to his card, so that he need not move, lugging his massive stack around.

Table now sits as follows:

I’m on the button, to my left sits new guy, then comes “Gerg,” all around great guy, personal friend of SuperDonk and mine, reluctant to admit brother of Donkey Kong (no Ditty Kong jokes here please)… To Gerg’s left sits the Blind Defender, as he makes it well known to us TAG types that he “likes to defend his blinds.” Next is the hostess. To my right sits the actor. The actor runs the local theater here, thus appropriate “named.” Eggs sits two to my right with roughly half the chips as play begins.

I start off the final table, paying five spots, rather quietly, lacking “presence” and wanting to get a feel as to what is going down. Note that there are two extremely short stacks, having an M of roughly two. My M sits about eight at this time and I’m either second or third in chip count, when the table begins. The actor has a short stack as well, M’ing at about five. Hostess and defender are at about 7-8 in M. New guy is the first to be eliminated, being outed by making a move UTG, pushing all-in and trying to steal before having to post blinds. Eggs reraises to all-in and takes him down, adding a small profit to his already monstrous stack.


Six remain and we’re on the bubble. Play goes around for a bit, and I sense the table is a bit tighter than previous, due in fact to the bubble being formed. I start my endgame play with my low M, all-in or fold. The actor, UTG pushes all-in and is eliminated by the hostess. The bubble bursts. One very short stack remains, in Gerg and we’re all in the money. Gerg busts out taking fifth place to Eggs.


A friend of mine walks into the game, arriving in time to play game number two, and decides to remind me of my Poker Pub Quote: “ blah blah blah… calling my home run ball... I'm putting everyone on notice and saying "I will win this event this month. Blah blah blah…"

Down to the final four. I’m still second in chips and eggs has roughly 55% of the stack on his end, table is leaning his way. I have about 25-30% of the count, with roughly 15-20% of the remaining chips equally distributed between the blind defender and the hostess. Push push push push, I continue… Eggs hits a cold deck in the process, and allows me to steal a few pots preflop. I push with pocket fours, with King seven, and with J10s. No takers. I’m doing a nice job accumulating uncontested chips preflop and frustrating the table in the process.


I am in the SB and pick up AA. I think for a second… a quick second as to how I am going to play this hand. It occurs to me that if I limp, this will look suspicious to all. If I end up “having to” show down this hand, it will totally kill my “all-in/fold” game. The peeps will clearly think I am pushing with garbage, limping with quality. So, despite being certain that I’ll collect more chips in the short term by limping, I push all-in, thinking maybe a frustrated blind defender will put in the call. He considers doing so, but folds and I do not show my hand.


Shortly after, the hostess moves all-in with pocket sixes. I see ace seven in my hand, suited no less. I make the call from the big blind and eliminate her with a seven hitting the board on the flop, and an ace joining me on the river.

Exactly one hand later, Eggs, our chip leader pushes all-in preflop, deciding now that he’s going to make a stand. I see Ace jack, and make the call. I have his queen jack dominated, adding insult to injury by getting two aces on the flop. I regain the chip lead. Correction, I take a monstrous chip lead. In front of me sits roughly 85% of the total chip count, leaving only 15% to spread out between the blind defender and eggs. The buzzer goes off and the blinds are preparing to go up. While I’m getting organized, they decide amongst themselves that my lead is insurmountable. This, combined with eggs needing to go to Chuck E. Cheese, the cut a deal and surrender, thus naming me the winner by default.

The poker pub prophecy holds true, and now I shall quote myself:

“Tomorrow is the ever so famous "monthly game" for the Beer guy and all his poker playing friends. Rumour has it that Poker Pub legend SuperDonk will be making a promotional appearance at the local Circle K having a pregame autograph/meet n greet session. Circle K is, in case we're keeping score, the official provider of the Beer Guy's coffee and obnoxious chewing gum prior to the "monthly game."

My performance at the monthly game, in terms of results (read: cashing) have not been in line with my expectations. More often than not, I've been either the "bubble boy" or the first one out once the money hits. I'm making a bold prediction for this month, something I've never done, and calling my home run ball... I'm putting everyone on notice and saying "I will win this event this month." I know, bold statement, considering I've not factored in the chance of getting cold cards, or "bad beats" placed upon me. Oh, but I have... Bad beats and cold decks are something every poker player must deal with and work through. Its how one responds to said bad beats and cold cards that defines a winner. Taking that into consideration, I am vowing to overcome any cold cards and/or bad beats to emerge victorious. Failure... is not an option (read: it is very possible that I make a similar post next month, just prior to the "monthly game," however nothing is going to deter me or turn into an excuse if I do not win). I'm giving it my all and plan to win. Nuff said.” - Beer Guy, 22 April on the Poker Pub calling his homerun ball.

Oh, but it doesn’t stop there… No sir, it does not. Not only do I mow down the field in our main event game, but I also continue on to win the second game! I may discuss this game at a later date this week, though I will disclose the final hand. The beer guy and arch-villain SuperDonk heads up, 55% of the chips belonging to the Beer Guy, relentless back and forth heads up action. Beer Guy pushes forth a bluff, holding the “baby schroeck” (2-3 offsuit, the signature hand of SuperDonk’s alter ego “that guy”). SuperDonk calls, holding queen jack offsuit. In a fit of irony, the “baby schroeck” nails a deuce on the flop, SD fails to improve on the turn or river, and the Beer guy sends SuperDonk home with both the second best hand and the second best finish of the event.


As always, thanks to the host and hostess for putting this event together. They do a phenomenal job in ensuring that everything runs smoothly and has a professional yet friendly feel to it!


Mike