2005/10/04

Bringing down the nemisis...

Last night, a buddy of mine and I were talking poker (surprise, surprise). We both play at the same place. And of course, we often exchange notes, ideas, and other things. We began discussing this one individual who plays very loose (read pretty much any two suited cards), and how he seems to get "lucky" quite a bit. So, today, given that he was the topic of conversation over cheap beer, I decided it was my goal to bust this guy out.

(Note: I'm going to speak in terms of "bets" as opposed to being bogged down with dollars and cents. I look at the money in front of me and at the center of the table as "Bets," so it stands to reason that I shall discuss them as such. To give you a benchmark, "1 bet" equals the size of the blind. 1/2 bet equals the size of the small blind.)

My little challenge actually started last night, prior to our conversation... "That guy" went allin preflop, as he often did. He was immediately to my left in the betting round, thus I was last to act. His allin was for 8 1/2 bets. Now, normally, I wouldn't call this down with the hand I had. But, with "That Guy," he has a very large hand range, which meant he could have a small pocket pair, jack $hit, or a legit hand. His legit hands were far and few between, as I suspect he has no clue what to do when he gets a real hand. So, I'm feeling lucky, thus I call. He flips over Jack-Six suited, which was at the lower end of his "range," I flip over Queen-Nine Suited, which is usually not even on my radar as a hand to play.

The flop missed us both completely, and I end up taking the pot down with high card. He was irritated. So, on to this morning's stompings...

Hand #1: "That guy" raises to 6 bets preflop, once again, i revisit his hand ranges and feel comfortable playing. I call his raise cold, as does "some other guy" (From Sweden), so the pot at the flop is 19 1/2 bets full. Flop comes Jd, 4s, 5d giving two flush cards and a possible straight draw. First to act, I check. "Other guy" checks as well, "That guy" bets 8 bets, same as his preflop. This bet could be a continuation of his preflop hit, or it could be a bet of strength, indicating the flop assisted him. I interpretted it as most likely being a bet that continued his preflop actions and that he did not get any loving on the flop. With that in mind, I reraise to 16 bets. "Other guy" calls cold, as does "That guy." There's now 67 1/2 bets in the pot. Turn card comes 8h. Now the board has two possible straight draws, and an incomplete flush draw. I check, thinking I'm going to see action before the river and knowing "That guy" only has 4 bets left in his stack til he's allin. He of course puts out 4 bets, going allin. I raise to 16 bets, hoping to drive the "Other guy" out, who I am certain is still drawing. He smartly folds. "That guy" turns over pocket tens to my pocket 8's which just made a set on the turn. River comes as a Queen of diamonds, which would have completed "Other Guy's" flush draw. The extra 16 bets won me the hand.

"That guy" reloaded. He goes allin a few hands later preflop, pushing in 35 bets. Once again, I'm last to act and call him down. He flips over 6-6 to my 9-9. The board zings over our head and pairs jacks. I take him down again. He complains about how lucky I am. I, of course smile. He realizes how on tilt he is, so he leaves. The "other guy" also comments on how lucky I am and comments that had he stayed in, he'd have outdrawn me both times. I smile, once again. And a few hands later, he and I am butting heads.

He raises it to two bets preflop, which being in the BB, I call. One other idiot also calls. Flop comes K-7-5, giving me an inside straight draw. I check, with the intention of check raising. The pot only contained 6 1/2 bets, so I didn't really wish to lead out to find out where i was. I figured a check raise would be more appropriate, especially considering how lucky I appear. Surprisingly, its checked around. The turn sends a six my way, completing my straight. I bet out 1/2 the pot at 3 bets, "Other guy" reraises, making it 6 bets. I decide to come overtop of him, and push out 27 bets, which he will surely call. He calls, river is a blank. I push out 14 bets, putting him allin. He calls and smugly turns over his pocket aces, which of course my straight mows down.

Maybe I am a lucky b*st*rd... But, I got to take down arch villians "That Guy" and "Other Guy" all before 10am...

More to follow...